Flexure Pivot® Thrust Bearings
Flexure Pivot tilt pad thrust bearings reduce power loss and extend bearing life over a wide range of speeds, loads and temperatures.
Ideal for retrofit due to their space-saving design, these patented fluid film bearings increase load capacity, accommodate misalignment and reduce pivot wear.
- Elimination of pivot wear and high contact stresses. Flexure Pivot tilt pad thrust bearings form a wedge through flexure of the post support, eliminating the pivot wear and brinelling associated with point or line contact tilt pad bearings.
- Custom design of the Flexure Pivot post support. The Flexure Pivot post support is engineered to provide the optimum wedge ratio at the design load conditions, resulting in greater load capacity and a significant reduction in power loss.
- Retrofit in small envelopes. Due to the space-saving pad design, Flexure Pivot thrust bearings can be retrofit in small spaces where only taper land or flat thrust plates would typically fit. This design flexibility allows load capacity upgrades without the need for housing modifications.
- Simple construction and manufacturing. Flexure Pivot bearings contain fewer parts than conventional tilt pad bearings. As a result, manufacturing, installation, inspection and maintenance are much simpler.
- Elimination of pad flutter. The rotational stiffness provided by the Flexure Pivot bearing eliminates the pad flutter often experienced on the unloaded side of conventional tilt pad thrust bearings.
- Higher load capacity in reverse rotation. Offset Flexure Pivot tilt pad thrust bearings can carry higher loads in reverse rotation than conventional tilt pad bearings.
- Static and dynamic misalignment capability. The integral pad-pivot-retainer design of Flexure Pivot bearings eliminates manufacturing tolerance stack-up to increase misalignment capability. In addition, the pads accommodate misalignment through their ability to flex and follow the runner, eliminating the excessive wear and fretting that dynamic misalignment causes in conventional tilt pad bearings.
- Lower lubricant flow requirements. Special surface preparation and material selection allow Flexure Pivot bearings to carry higher loads at lower oil flow rates, making them a bearing of choice for applications where lubricant availability is low.
- Electric motors
- Oil well drilling motors
- Marine shafts