Flexure Pivot® Tilt Pad Journal Bearings
Flexure Pivot tilt pad journal bearings achieve the same low cross-coupling and high stability of standard tilt pad bearings while eliminating pivot wear, high contact stresses and pad flutter. The Flexure Pivot tilt pad moves through flexure and rotation of the center post, instead of a rocking or sliding motion.
- Minimizes manufacturing tolerance stack-up with its integral pad-pivot-retainer design. This feature is a critical design parameter which has a direct impact on the rotor's stability, critical speed, and synchronous response characteristics.
- Eliminates pivot wear and contact stresses. This prevents degradation in performance with time, maintains the desired bearing preload, and provides a narrower spread in the stiffness and damping coefficients.
- Simple one-piece design. Also available in split configuration, the Flexure Pivot journal bearing offers the performance of a tilt pad bearing and the simplicity of a sleeve bearing. Installation is easy and the pads never need an adjustment.
- Available with very small wall thickness. In some cases, conventional sleeve bearings can be replaced with Flexure Pivot journal bearings without any requirement for housing modifications.
- Inherently stable bearing design, ensuring optimal rotordynamic characteristics. The rotational stiffness of the pivot is selected such that the destabilizing cross-coupled stiffness coefficients are negligible.
- Eliminates pad flutter and spragging. The rotational stiffness increases the pad natural frequency and eliminates pad flutter and spragging often encountered on the unloaded pads in conventional tilt pad bearings.
- Retrofit small and miniature bearings. The advanced techniques utilized in the manufacturing of Flexure Pivot tilt pad bearings make them a good choice for retrofitting small and miniature fluid film bearings and rolling element bearings.
Optimized Bearings and Dampers Provide Long-term Solution to Vibrations